- Did a loved one or friend recently pass away, leaving issues unresolved?
- Do you expect to inherit property or believe that you are a beneficiary in a Will or Trust?
- Are you concerned that the person handling an estate or Trust is not performing the job properly?
We can help
The Fisher Law Office, PLLC handles probate, trust administration, and guardianships. We also specialize in estate planning to give you peace of mind that you have made things easier for your friends and loved ones.
Executing the proper documents while you are mentally capable of making such decisions can make all the difference in the difficulty, effectiveness and expense in finalizing an estate.
What is Probate?
Probate is a court proceeding that determines, among other things, who inherits property from a deceased person. The decedent may or may not have left a valid Will but, in either case, it may be necessary for the court to assist in sorting out an estate.
The court will appoint a representative of the estate, someone to carry out the required tasks. A Will can nominate the decedent’s choice of a representative. If there is no Will, the court has little guidance about who you would want in charge of your estate.
If a decedent created a Trust in her lifetime, the Trust can name Successor Trustee(s) to take over. If so, the Successor Trustee would have immediate authority to resolve several issues, but still may require some practical assistance.
In court proceedings for probate or in the event of trust administration without court involvement, several things must be done, including but not limited to:
- Filing final income tax return(s) for the decedent;
- Determining if federal estate tax is due;
- Locating creditors who are entitled to be paid from estate assets;
- Locating and safeguarding the decedent’s assets and seeing that only proper claims are paid;
- Locating heirs and beneficiaries;
- Distributing the remaining estate to the proper parties.
Curtis W. Fisher is an experienced Tulsa Probate lawyer with nearly 35 years of experience. If you have questions about any of these matters please contact us by telephone for a free consultation.